Saturday 29 November 2014

2008 & 2009 Las Flors, La Pèira

I tasted the 2009 Las Flors at Bristly Wine´s trade tasting a couple of weeks ago (tasting notes will come) and was floored by it. I immediately ordered a couple of bottles of the 2008 and 2009.
Time to check them out at home. I opened them at three o´clock in the afternoon, decanted them and followed them during the evening.

2008 Las Flors, La Pèira
This Mourvedre, Grenache and Syrah blend shows of a big, deep and tight nose with notes of ripe black cherries, plums, raw meat, dark fudge and a hint of that special smoky scent that comes from a good Islay whisky. Deep and very fine.
The taste is young, tight and focused with notes of ink, dark plums and cherries, asphalt, meat stock and a black peppery note. A very long, warm, finely tuned finish. This will need 5+ years to reach some stage of maturity.
92p   (tasted 2014/11)

2009 Las Flors, La Pèira
The 2009 is turned up to eleven, compared to the 2008. The fruit is blacker and denser, yet with lighter feet and with more focus, if you could imagine that. Sweet liquorice, dried flowers, freshly grounded black pepper, hand pounded meat, a bonfire in the distance and very expensive perfume is just a few scents that rises from the glass when you swirl it. Just stunning!
The taste is the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove with waves of dark ripe cherries and notes of Christmas spices, raw meat, veal stock, liquorice and dried flowers. The finish goes on for several minutes. This is brilliant and will become even better with 5+ years in the cellar. Get as much as you can get hold on - I will!
96p   (tasted 2014/11)

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear! Btw, did you taste the 2010 or the 2011?

    And you seem to have made a good job, the 2009 is now unavailable at SB ;)

    /David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, no, haven't tried the 2010 or the 2011, on Bristly's tasting it was the 2009 that was poured. And then I bought...:-)

      Delete
  2. I tasted the 2010 in May this year http://jcvintankar.blogspot.se/2014/05/las-flors-2010.html
    To my taste it was a bit too young and I will leave my bottles in my cellar for another two years.
    Las Flors is one of my absolute favourites. I have written about the 2006,2007,2008,2009 and they have all been more or less magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Yes, I have read your glowing reviews of Las Flors, and I can only agree, at least regarding the 2008 and 2009, and I will order the 2010.

      Delete