Friday 3 July 2015

Friday Evening Pinot - 2012 Pinot Noir, Greywacke


This friday I was in the mood for some young, vibrant Pinot to go with a pasta dish with a sage sausage sauce, fried sage leaves and spinach. It worked well!

2012 Pinot Noir, Greywacke
I recently tasted the - http://barolista.blogspot.se/2015/06/two-times-2012-kiwi-chardonnay.html - and as good as it was I had a hunch that the Pinot would be better. 
And it is. I tried it from the Riedel Extreme Pinot and the Zalto Burgundy glasses.
From the Riedel glass this wine sports an outgoing, deep, sweet nose with lots of ripe raspberries, liquorice, moist forest floor and beetroot juice. The Zalto glass displays a more structured nose with more cherries than raspberries and fine notes of woodsmoke and some burnt rubber. Both glasses gives a fine expression of a ripe, New World Pinot character, but forced to choose, I would go with the Zalto.
The taste also differs between the two glasses, contrary to certain believes that that can't happen...
The Riedel has a tight, young taste with notes of wild strawberries, root vegetables, forest floor and rose hips. Long and structured. Very, very good. The Zalto gives the expression of an ever more laid back, acid driven wine, but with lots of sweet fruit to balance the taste. Long and precise. Again, if I have to choose, the Zalto takes the first place. 
This is, all glasses aside, a very good Pinot from New Zealand that I would venture could evolve nicely for 3-5 years. I will order some more.
92p   (tasted 2015/06)



No comments:

Post a Comment