Saturday 14 January 2012

Second wine last night!

I was craving a great Barolo last night and ended up opening this beauty. Still very young, but with a couple of hours in the decanter it became really enjoyable.

2001 Barolo Pié Franco, Cappellano
A deep, sensual, intense nose with notes of sweet/sour red cherries, lingonberries and bushes, licorice and lots of dried crushed rose petals. Very, very deep. Hard cherry candy. Some smoke from burned autum leaves. Just beautiful.
The taste is young and powerful with lots of intensity in the gorgeous fruit and boatloads of young, brutal but polished tannins. The tannins reminded me of a line in a The Beautiful South song - "I´ll hurt them if that really turns them on" - and I´m turned on now...:-)Very long finish that ends with a lovely dry twist. Very pure. This baby needs another 5-7 years.

Since Theobaldo wished that he wines wouldn´t be rated, I never do.


No comments:

Post a Comment