Sunday 9 February 2014

What I Drank Last Night - 2004 Barolo Cannubi Boschis, Sandrone

I ought to be ashamed of myself! I have called this blog Barolista, in homage to the wines I love from the foggy hills in Piedmonte. And when was the latest post with a Barolo?

Ok, I did open a 64 a week ago. But before that?!

October last year... - maybe I should rename the blog to "Everything Else Besides Barolo..."?
I have to start to rectify this behaviour. I started last night...

2004 Barolo Cannubi Boschis, Sandrone
Cannubi Boschis from Sandrone usually strike a chord deep inside me. Both the 1990 and the 2001 are perfect wines in my book. Lets see how one bottle from the 04 vintage performs.
The nose is a bit slow out of the gate but soon picks up pace and display beautiful aromas of red currants, hard cherry candy, forest floor with lots of mushrooms, rosehips and a tiny note of mint. Still young, but with air it shows of the beauty of Cannubi in Sandrone´s expression.
The taste is young, tight and focused with notes of sweet red cherries, lingonberries, forest floor, a touch of tobacco and lots of violet pastilles. There is a big handful of cheeky tannins at the end of the finish, giving me the clear message - "leave me in the cellar for another 5+ years"! I will... Not in the league of the 2001 but an impressive bottle of Nebbiolo.
93p   (tasted 2014/02)

4 comments:

  1. 2004 is probably my favorite vintage because of its fantastic overall balance and everything usually in place, so I was expecting it to beat the 2001.

    I recently tried the the more shortlived and very forward 2009, but not bad at all.
    http://www.ultimatewinekick.com/2014/01/a-skillful-modernist-with-great-nose-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....2004 is a fantastic vintage but I hold the 2001 vintage as the better of the two, and the best since 1996. If one were to use that old saying "an iron fist in a velvet glove" - I would say that 2001 is more fist and 2004 is more velvet - and I prefer the Iron Fist :-) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yHyHdJK5g

      I saw that you mentioned the 1989 in your post - I have one bottle of that one - and have never tried that vintage - looking forward to do the deed...:-)

      Delete
  2. Saturday I opened a 2000 Barolo Bussia "Munie" from Franco Conterno....because I thought this vintage has not much speed to go further....
    Poured out of the bottle....the first glass gave no much pleasure.....but after one hour...it was almost 2 times the body , darker, and in full gear with all in balance .....what an excellent wine from an underrated producer...!
    It can easily sleep 5 more years.....
    Me and my son scored both 94.......to bad no more
    Vintage is important.....but site and human factor are more important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why vintage charts are (almost) useless - the proof is always in the bottle! :-)

      Delete