Tuesday 14 July 2020

Two 85p 93´s

It is no secret that I have a special kinship when it comes to the overlooked vintage of 1993. I have even called myself The Cape Crusader Of The Forgotten Vintage Of 1993...
I buy them whenever I see them! Often for a song.

1993 Raunthaler Baiken Riesling Spätlese, Kloster Eberbach
A lovely, deep nose with notes of tangerines, orange peel, linoleum and some dried up honey. It feels like it has been sweeter than your normal Spätlese, a long time ago.
The taste is dry and sandy with notes of dried orange peel, rubber and clay. A dry acidity. Somewhat short. Good.
85p   (tasted 2020/07)


1993 Barbaresco, Gli Ori di Alba
A nicely matured nose with notes of autumn leaves, red currants, dried dark flowers and hint of wet asphalt. A low keyed intensity. Very good.
The taste is dry and fine with notes of rowan berries, gravel, dry licorice and gravel. A tad one dimensional though.
85p   (tasted 2020/07)

No comments:

Post a Comment