Saturday 30 April 2016

Drinking Tonight - 1991 Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatieres, Domaine Henri Clerc


A classic here at home - angel hair pasta, a rich white wine sauce and fish skewers, this time with scallops, salmon and cod on them.
What to open to go along then? Why not a 25 year old Puligny?

1991 Puligny-Montrachet Les Folatieres, Domaine Henri Clerc
The colour is on the orange side of things and many thoughts pass through my head before sticking my nose in the glass - shit, oxidized; too old, what do I have as backup; white Burgundy, not again, why, why, why... But note, that was before I put my nose to the glass. And when I did - a big smile appears on my face.
The nose is deep, rich and perfectly mature with gorgeous notes of candied lemons, matchbox, candle grease and a touch of saffron. A lovely warmth and dried up sweetness of the fruit. Rich and rewarding. This is really fine. Just as fine, mature white Burgundy can be.
The taste is deep and multi layered with lovely notes of lemon cream, ski wax, parsnips, olicloth and earth. A great acidity and a long, long finish which ends dry and lingers on for minutes. Drinking perfect on this night and I am glad to have some more bottles. This is why one should cellar white Burgundy.
94p   (tasted 2016/04)

No comments:

Post a Comment