Thursday 22 March 2012

The Perfect Ones - Part 12

In may of 2007 I arranged a tasting with a nice array of mature and maturing Bordeaux wines. I pretty much ransacked my cellar of the ones I thought should be in a perfect drinking window. And some of them were truly great (see the whole list below).
There were two bottles that, on that night, performed in a perfect manner - the 1982 Château Latour (as usual...will get back to that one later in this series) and the

1982 Château Cheval Blanc
I have been fortunate to have tasted this beauty on five different occasions. It has always performed great, but this is the only time I have found it completely faultless (I have previous scored it between 94 and 98p).
And this time it really had some serious competition! :-)
The nose is just mesmerizing, with utterly gorgeous notes of red currants, plums, leather, milk chocolate, cold sugared coffee, fudge and a myriad of other scents. Very deep, focused, intense and completely fascinating. Very, very elegant.
The taste is sooo concentrated and focused and at the same time smooth as silk. The fruit is perfectly ripe and stunning in its sweetness, intensity and creaminess. Notes of red currants, red cherries, old leather, tobacco and milk chocolate. The tannins are perfectly integrated. At 25 years of age this is a charming and ravishing bottle of wine. Can´t seeing this getting any better than this, but I´m ready to be convinced!
100p   (tasted 2007/05)


The other wines:
1945 Château Leoville Las-Cases   (92p)
1985 Château Leoville Las-Cases   (95p)
1995 Château Leoville Las-Cases   (92p)
1947 Château Cheval Blanc   (97p)
1961 Château Canon   (92p)
1990 Château Canon   (94p)
1964 Château Margaux   (91p)
1996 Château Margaux   (98p)
1996 Château Latour   (97p)
1982 Château Latour   (100p)
1998 Château Lafleur   (96p)
1999 Château Lafleur   (91p)

2 comments:

  1. W00t! That's a proper list let me tell ya. Well I can only imagine the amazing scents and flavors.. Bordeaux's like blind spot for me. Maybe I'll someday taste the real stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you have to get to work on that blind spot! :-)

    /Joakim

    ReplyDelete