Wednesday 12 August 2015

The Seventh Costa Brava Dispatch

Among the wines I bought and tasted from Empordà there was one natural wine. Why, could one ask. But you gotta expand your horizons sometimes. :-) I am glad I did!

2013 Confianca, Cosmic
This turned out to be a nice surprise! Made out of 100% Garnatxa Roja. Only 626 bottles made and this bottle was nr 503. The label states that it has bottled without sulfites. Upon opening it I discovered it was a orange wine.
Granted, I had my preconceived thoughts while pouring it, but guess what, shame on me!
The nose is deep and complex with notes of (over)ripe yellow apples, white raisins, hay, dried flowers and banana peel. Very fine. A hint of glue after a while. This is good.
The taste is tight and dry with notes of yellow apples, paint, yellow plums and lots of crushed rocks. Long and fine. A high acidity. Feels like chewing on a peach kernel. This is really good. Worked well with some assorted Spanish delicatessen. Info here.
89p   (tasted 2015/07)

No comments:

Post a Comment