Monday 5 March 2018

Second Day In The Mountains - 1993 Barolo Vigna Francesco, Rocche Costamagna

I feel like I am the cape crusader of the virtues of the 1993 vintage. Here is another great bottle from that underrated vintage. But I really should keep it to myself so I can keep on snapping up bottles like this for 30 Euro...

1993 Barolo Vigna Francesco, Rocche Costamagna
This wine, which today is a Riserva, comes from the bricco parts of Rocche dell´Annunziata and is named after the forefather of the currents owners. The nose is finely matured with notes of dried cherries, tobacco, rosehips, asphalt and leather. A fine complexity that only can come with bottle age.
The taste is dry and expressive with notes of dried cherries, coffee grounds, mushrooms and dry licorice. A fine, long, dry finish.  Drinking perfect 10 years ago, now, and the coming 5+ years.
91p   (tasted 2018/03)


No comments:

Post a Comment