Wednesday 16 September 2015

Two Bottles Of Brunello di Montalcino

After my Brunello project, I find myself from time to time urging a bottle (or two) of Sangiovese from the Montalcino hills. These two were drunk with dinner in the last couple of weeks.

2004 Brunello di Montalcino, Cassiano
A new acquaintance for me. The nose is medium deep with a hint of maturity and notes of meaty cherries, violets, gravel and dry tobacco. Well structured, a bit withdrawn and good.
The taste is fine and earthy with a nice warmth and notes of dried cherries, liquorice, tobacco and dried rosemary. A medium long finish a nice dry ending. Very good with the food. You could surely keep any remaining bottles for 5+ years but I don´t think they will get better than this.
86p   (tasted 2015/08)


1993 Brunello di Montalcino, Tenuta Caparzo
I tasted a bunch of Brunello´s from Caparzo during my project and liked them a lot. But this vintage from them is new to me. And as I have said before, I think that 1993 is a underrated vintage in both Tuscany and Piemonte.
A open, finely tuned, perfectly mature greats the nose. Fine notes of ripe red cherries, cigarette smoke, hard cherry candy, pork rinds and dried rosemary. Medium deep. A lovely nose of a mature Brunello.
The taste is mature, tight and dry with notes of red cherries, rowanberries, dried herbs and undergrowth. A fine finish that ends dry. The nose promised more cherry sweetness than the taste delivered, but this still is a fine mature Brunello. And it worked wonders with the home made truffle pizza!
89p   (tasted 2015/09)


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment