Friday 5 January 2024

The Ten Most Memorable Wines Of 2023

Time again! To do the list of my most memorable wines of the last year. The wines that have made a lasting impression. 
It is always difficult to narrow it down to ten wines but I force myself and with a glass of 2001 Piet Franco, Cappellano the task seems a tad easier.
884 wines tasted and drunk during 2023, of which 261 was a Barolo (5 made the list). 

Here are the wines that made the list, in vintage order. 
A toast for a great 2024!

1961 Château Calon Ségur
There are something special with a perfectly mature Bordeaux. The 1961 was the highlight, together with the 1990, at a Château Calon Ségur dinner tasting.
96p   (tasted 2023/10)


1991 Grange, Penfolds
Everyone brought great bottles but my lasting impression was of this one. I have had my ups and downs with Grange over the years but this was a stunner.
97p   (tasted 2023/04)


1999 Côte-Rôtie La Mouline, Guigal
Almost perfect. This gorgeous creature only needs 6-10 years more to achieve perfection. I, nearly always, prefer La Mouline in the Guigal La-La line up. Also this time. Thanks Sverker!
99p   (tasted 2023/05)


1999 Barolo Mantoetto, Umberto Fracassi
I have (so far...) visited 109 estates in Barolo, and there have been many, many unforgettable ones, but maybe the most so, is the one to the 85 year old gentleman Umberto Fracassi - Barolista: A Couple Of Days in Piedmont - Visit To Umberto Fracassi
96p   (tasted 2023/07)


2011 Quella, Bond
I wish I could afford to drink these beauties daily. The 2011 Quella was a perfect specimen of Cabernet Sauvignon from California - Barolista: Bond, The Name Is Bond.
99p   (tasted 2023/04)


2004 Barolo Piet Franco, Cappellano
Drunk at one of our tasting groups semi annual tasting dinners - Barolista: Tasting Dinner With Great Wines - Pol Roger, Jadot, Chave, Cappellano, Fonseca & More!
Since the late Theobaldo didn´t want his wines to be scored, I never do   (tasted 2023/11)


2016 Barolo Riserva Le Coste, Giacomo Grimaldi
A perfect wine in the making. Tasting it at the estate - Barolista: The Barolo Boys In Piedmont - Visit To Giacomo Grimaldi - I knew I had to have some, and now I have... Just wait 10+ years.
97p   (tasted 2023/01)


2018 Barolo Castelletto, Burlotto
The first vintage of Castelletto from Fabio´s magic hands. And what a wine! High, energetic with a stunning balance and focus. Thanks Miran!
96p   (tasted 2023/01)


2019 Barolo Brunate, Giuseppe Rinaldi
Sitting on the outside terrace of Locanda Fontanazza drinking a bottle of this stunning juice, one can just conclude, life is good. Great now, great in 10+ years.
97p   (tasted 2023/07)


2020 Château d´Yquem
This is the reason I don´t make my most memorable list until the year is over. Sverker brought this beauty for New Years dinner (with the 1990 that didn´t perfomed on this high level). Absolutely stunning, this young Sauternes is perfection in the making, like the 1967 many, many years ago.
98p   (tasted 2023/12)





No comments:

Post a Comment